Monday, May 13, 2013

Doctor's Orders


Opening up Microsoft Word to a blank page reflects my activities for the next 30 days.









A few weeks ago, our Prospective Member class at Alpine completed our 24 hour overnight training, which consisted of navigation, multiple patient packages, evacuations, rappelling , medical assessments, radio communication work, and an overnight in some frigid temps without a sleeping bag or tent. It was awesome to be a part of this experience with a team of others all working towards a common goal. I realized I was allowed to do this by my doctor, and that a follow up visit with her loomed.

I was able to see her today. The doctor has ordered no running or activities at altitude (including hiking or flying) for 30 days. This may be easier to cope with if my leg was broken, or I was otherwise incapacitated. The thing is, every part of my body works fine, and every part of my body wants to go- none more than my wandering mind.

It has only been about an hour since hearing the news, and already I have passed countless runners on the road, realized that activity on Alpine will be cut back, flights to New York and Phoenix are no longer a go, no more Tough Mudder. No Bolder Boulder, no Colfax Marathon relay. I would kick and scream about it not being fair, but really, it could be a lot worse.  I am extremely thankful for all of the positives in my life! There are countless other people who:

a) Would not have the opportunity to be a part of these activities in the first place;
b) Are not surrounded by great family and friends for support in a time like this;


I don’t want to dwell in it, but right now, it just feels good to let it all go on to the page. It’s just 30 days.

The doc says walking is just about the extent of activity for now - maybe another procedure down the road. The dogs were very happy to hear this exciting new! Thank goodness at least it’s grilling season:)

No comments:

Post a Comment