Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Star Date: January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!  Now that 2012 is a thing of the past, it's time to kick down the door of 2013 and own it.  It's time for new goals.  Last year's goals were solid, but time for new ones right?

I'm ready for the new year for a number of reasons:

1)  Amanda has me in the running spirit again!  After watching her kick some a$$ last year - completing her first sprint triathlon and half-marathon - we've decided to tackle a half marathon in Moab, Utah coming up this March.  It's run through canyons of Moab, and hopefully the sheer beauty of the event will help the miles go by.  I've never run this distance for a race, so she has helped me develop a training schedule, and is keeping me motivated.  I even picked up some new kicks for training.

Canyonlands NP, Utah

2)  The Hyatt Riot Squad is ready to get muddy again this year up in Beaver Creek for the Tough Mudder.  Looking forward to not spraining my ankle on the way to the starting line this year.  That should help make this year's Mudder a little more enjoyable.  I'm hoping Kori will sign up too, she has been eyeing the orange headband...

3)  Longs Peak is once again on the radar screen - but this year, we have a full scale party! Yes!  Amanda, Dad and my brother Ty have all expressed interest in getting this one done.  We may need to enlist some sherpas to get all of our gear to the Boulderfield!  

On a side note, I'd like to gain 100,000 feet of elevation this year through running, hiking, snowshoeing  or biking.  I've seen some folks keep track of elevation, and it seems like an interesting alternative to strictly charting mileage.  Any thoughts or ideas on this??

Wishing you a happy and healthy 2013!  Do you have anything specific lined up this year?

1 comment:

  1. I am intrigued in a longs peak hike with the family.. keep me informed will you?

    ReplyDelete