Sunday, May 26, 2013

Calling Audibles

A quarterback on the line of scrimmage calls an audible to change the next play on the fly before the ball is snapped.  Hopefully, the rest of his team is on the same page, otherwise the play will fall apart.

Questionable hearing can have some serious implications.  Communication is very important to our daily lives and essential to how our interactions proceed with others, and how we are perceived by others.  Any slight misunderstanding can lead us down a different path.  Since the surgery in March, there have been instances where I thought I heard a piece of a conversation one way, only to find out later that I heard it completely wrong.  The end result is not being on the same page with the rest of the folks on the field.

It's good to laugh at these sometimes!  I will be trying my best to keep track of these moments and share them with you.

Scenario #1 - South Pearl Farmers Market
Walking by a vendor tent on crowded South Pearl Street, a woman vendor selling tea approaches a passerby:

Vendor:  Hello sir, would you like to try some locally grown tea?
Man:  Sure.
Vendor:  What flavors do you prefer?
Man: Uhhhh-
Vendor:  Do you like women?
Me: (whoa...that was awkward- his wife is right there...)
Man: No.
Vendor:  Ok, what about black tea?  (Ahhh- the vendor was probably asking if the man likes lemon, not women)

Scenario #2 - Whole Foods Checkout
Amanda and I were at Whole Foods today, getting ready for a Memorial Day gathering in the park tomorrow.  I had just a few things (namely raw meat and an ear of corn) for the cashier to scan.  Whole Foods was loud, I wasn't quite tuned in yet...

Cashier:  Hello, how are you today?
Me:  Good thanks, how are you?
Cashier:  Great, are you having a cookutnight?
Me:  Trying to think quickly on my feet saying to myself what the heck is a cookutnight??....ahh a cook out tonight....A cook out tonight? (I get out the answer just before 3 seconds go by)
Cashier:  Yea? Looks like you are cooking out tonight.
Me:  Ah no, (trying to save face)...the cookout is actually tomorrow night. (It's actually tomorrow around noon, but I wasn't going to get into that with her.)










No comments:

Post a Comment