Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Longs Peak over thinking...

Is not happening right now...the 30 day cleanse will be put on hold, but it will be completed this year.

I guess it's not a bad time to mention that the summer hiking season is beginning to wind down.  The month of September can be a good one for hiking.  Traditionally, thunderstorm activity dissipates but the trade off is that the days are a little shorter and cooler.  In my opinion, that is fine!  September is the month most people recommend doing Longs Peak.  I'm not sure that I'll be able to fit it in this month, but I'd sure love to!

The east face of Longs Peak is also known as "The Diamond" 
This is a mountain that I can see from Denver.  It is one of the three 14ers visible from the city (ironically, we have done none of the ones visible from Denver!)  It has quite the reputation for nasty weather and exposure.  It is a longer route that most would prefer to do in two days time.  All mountains require respect when you climb them, and Longs is no exception.  An error here can have serious consequences.  I'm not sure what my deal is with this mountain.  I've read a ton about the route, I've talked to numerous people about the mountain, I've even gone to a seminar on this mountain.  I have been wanting to climb this for a while, but it seems I always freak/bail at the last minute.  I don't doubt my abilities or judgments, I'm not sure what the hitch is.  Anyways enough venting.  Has anyone reading this ever over thought something like this?    It's not far from where I live, people do it all of the time, it's been on my radar for 3 years now.  I know it's silly, but honestly, I don't have any other explanation for not getting it done.

2 comments:

  1. Well I am proud of you for being safe and not going until 100% ready! That being said, I am ready to tackle! Maybe make reservations for boulder field next season, now? It'll happen! You had a great hiking season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir I dont keep up on your blogs well at all.. if I can be of service I would love to assist or come along on a hike up longs peak. Give me a couple months and ill be ready:P

    ReplyDelete