Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Quandary Peak (14,260')

6.14.2011
The Eye Opener

Climbing Party: Solo

Quandary Peak seen from the road on the way home

Before deciding to try to make a run at Quandary, read the trip reports, and decided it would be best to get a pretty early start on the mountain to avoid post-holing on the way up. It seemed Quandary was in great shape and that soft snow was the big issue to look out for.

Left trailhead at 4:10 am, after arriving from Denver. It was my first time making a night hike, and it was a great experience-one I will not soon forget.

Signage at the trailhead depicting gain, taken after hike.

The first portion of the hike through the woods seemed rather tame, and I found that in the dark, the biggest problem I was having was staying on the trail! There were several places along the trail where it seemed it could've gone in 2,3,4 different directions. I soon realized that the best approach to figuring where to go was to rule out spots where vegetation was not disturbed. It worked out fine, and shortly was above tree-line.  This time of day above tree-line is great to turn off the headlamp, as there is enough light to get by without one.

The second portion of the climb was the first snow-covered slope above treeline. It was early enough, so the snow was hard, and making up was no problem whatsoever. Near the top of the first slope, the sun started to rise, and o my! Best sunrise I had ever seen. The experience was very much worth a short night's sleep, and very early morning.

Sunrise above tree line is a treat.

The third portion, the upper slope, is deceiving. After reaching the top of the 1st slope, it levels off for a bit, and you are presented with the final portion of the hike. It appeared to me to be a quick scurry up the side, and boom, done. I found that it was steeper, and making upward progress slowed substantially for me. Within roughly 200' of the summit, clouds and snow rolled in to the point where the summit was no longer visible. Clouds were thick, and there was no end in sight to the snow coming from the west.
Summit in sight....
...then this happens.


I was within roughly 200' of the summit, and it seemed the weather would not be changing for some time. I hunched over my poles, and was hemming and hawing about turning around or waiting it out. 10 minutes later, the snow stopped for me, the summit became visible once again...green light! Weather held and I was able to get up just in time for it to get socked in again. Found the summit marker at 6:50, and promptly turned around to head back.

X-Factor:  The trail.  The trail was the one element of this hike that added that certain headache sometimes associated with hiking.  On this day, I was able to follow the trail all of the way to the summit, but on the way back down, the trail disappeared as I got to treeline.  The end result was having to draw a bearing on the compass and follow that to the road.  This added an additional 2 hours to my hike time as I was bushwhacking through brush and knee deep snow in some areas.  Even though you may be hiking on populated trails on popular mountains, there is always the possibility you will get off trail, and when you do, you will be glad you packed your map and compass.

No comments:

Post a Comment